Re: COVID-19 Virus Updates
Dear Residents, Family and Friends:
Our Shawnee PARC Family is doing everything in our power to keep you or your loved one and our employees safe and healthy. In an effort to meet that end, we are following CMS (Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services) and CDC (Center for Disease Control) guidelines as we navigate through these uncharted waters to reach safe harbor through this storm.
Our ICPTF Team (Infection Control Prevention Task Force) has implemented Phase 1 of our Covid-19 Plan which involves all precautionary measures and proactive interventions. Due to a purposeful and intentional focus and execution of Phase 1, we are happy to report that we have made it through March and April without a confirmed case of Covid -19. As we enter the month of May, still no cases, we are continuing to work the plan which changes periodically under the CDC guidelines. Some of our practices include:
- A full time Certified Infection Prevention R.N. who reviews all practices and all new information for implementation.
- Staff required to be assessed and monitored twice per shift by completing a formulary and taking their temperature upon arrival of their shift and after their 30 minute break to detect the slightest change so we can respond early to any possible signs of the virus.
- Facility has implemented universal masking by our Staff to protect our Residents and Patients.
- Taking temperatures of Residents/Patients and monitoring for any signs or symptoms of COVID-19. We have a designated Staff member who performs this daily for all of the people under our care.
- Additional building sanitation is done with new chemicals targeted to kill Covid-19 on high traffic, high touch areas and surfaces.
- Ongoing education with return demonstration related to proper hand washing, universal masking, isolation precautions/practices, how to respond to a Covid-19 suspected case, how to care for infected individuals, and other learning modules.
- Increased communication and collaboration with our local Health Department.
Should Shawnee PARC acquire a Covid-19 positive case, Phase 2 of our Covid-19 Plan will be implemented. A section of the building has been prepared and equipped to handle the situation to minimize the spread of the infection to other Residents, Patients, and Staff. Continuing with Phase 2, we will still screen Staff and any personnel that comes into the building as well as limiting group activities and dining, adhering to social distancing and not allowing visitors.
All Resident and Patient transportation is reviewed and approved by our Clinical Administrative Team to ensure that appointments are clinically essential and absolutely necessary. Residents who have to be transported to essential appointments outside of the facility are required to wear masks and are given further guidance regarding these appointments.
There are some Residents that have requested masks which the facility will provide per their request. There are guidelines of proper wearing, storage and replacing of masks which will be given to Residents and Patients who wish to wear them; they will be responsible for their masks and for following guidance to ensure that the practice of wearing masks does not become counterproductive to the Residents’ and Patients’ health and wellbeing.
As you may be aware, we are encouraging virtual visitations via Face Time. The facility has designated three iPads for this purpose to help connect Residents and Patients with their loved ones. We are also offering face to face visitations from our screened porch. The Resident or Patient will be brought to the porch by our Activities Director or designee and the family member can approach from the outside six feet away from the porch (we’re encouraging family/visitors to wear masks). If you are interested in scheduling a virtual or face to face visitation, please reach out to Winnie Banda, Activities Director at 913-383-2001 or 913-401-3819 and she’ll be happy to arrange it.
We are also having fun and exciting events where Staff, Residents, and Patients participate to lighten the mood and raise our spirits. If you’d like to see some of the amazing things we’re doing, please follow us on our Facebook page where you’ll see pictures and videos. Our Activities Director is also looking forward to putting together a Heroes Parade for our Residents, Patients and Staff on Friday May 15th at 2:00pm. If you’d like to participate, please reach out to her as soon as possible. Everyone is welcome to be a part of this event.
We acknowledge that this is a difficult time for you and/or your loved one and we thank you for your continued confidence in Shawnee PARC. Please do not hesitate to reach out with questions, concerns or requests for assistance. We will keep you updated as additional information becomes available.
At your service,
The Leadership Team at Shawnee PARC